Out-of-state teacher

Becoming a teacher in Washington state may not be as challenging as you think


You can apply for a teaching certificate in Washington State if you have completed an approved teacher preparation program, or hold a teaching certificate from another state and have three years of teaching experience. Contact the OSPI certification office for information on which endorsements you may be eligible for, testing requirements, forms to complete, and other next steps.

Black Female Teacher with Students02

Learn more about:


Certificates for out of state applicants. View certificate options.

Required documentation for international applicants. Find out more.

Testing requirements. The passing score from your certification exam may be used to meet certain testing requirement. Learn more about assessments.

Fingerprinting and background check requirements. Learn more about this process.

Tipsoo Lake in the Morning

Where will your next classroom be located?

Explore Washington’s regions